How do freelancers pay taxes? Advice from a six-figure freelancer

Disclosure: This site is sponsored by affiliate programs. We may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post. As an Amazon affiliate partner we may earn from qualifying purchases.

I love being a freelancer. I get to be my own boss, set my own hours and control my own destiny.

But I admit, I hate worrying about taxes.

And I doubt I’m alone in that sentiment. 

The truth is, taxes can be a bit more complicated for a freelancer than they might be for a regular W2 employee. 

And the thought of making that already annoying process of filing taxes even more difficult than it already is can be a stress inducing thought for most freelance hopefuls.

But here’s the good news, if I can find a way to cope, anyone can. 

In this article, I will try to answer some of the most commonly asked questions about taxes as they pertain to freelance – in layman’s terms – and offer tools and guidance that will hopefully make the entire process a bit easier and less terrifying. 

Before we begin, it’s important to note that I am not an accountant nor am I a tax professional. I am just a freelancer who makes 6-figures a year and wants to share my personal tax journey with y’all so that you can get a better understanding of how the process works.

Always seek professional guidance from a tax professional, a CPA or the IRS when in doubt.

First, let’s start with the basics.

Is freelance taxable income?

In the United States of America, the IRS defines a self-employed individual as someone who:

  • Carries on a trade or business as a sole proprietor or an independent contractor
  • Is a member of a partnership that carries on a trade or business
  • Are otherwise in business for themselves

Freelancers mostly fall into the first category. 

So yes, freelance work is taxable income. And you are required to file an income tax return if your net earnings from self-employment are $400 or more in a calendar year. 

Remember, “net income” is defined as your take-home income after expenses.

Editor’s Note: While I want to focus on freelance income for the sake of simplicity in this article, it’s also important to note that there’s a stipulation that even those who netted less than $400 in a calendar year may still have to file an income tax return if they meet any of the additional requirements listed in charts A, B, and C (pages 10-12) of this document. Again, it’s always best practice to ask an accountant or tax advisor for advice or refer to

What do I need to do to prepare?

If you listen to any of the advice in this article, I hope it’s this section. I’m about to drop some truth bombs. 

When I was starting out, I assumed it would take a while to earn any “real” money from my freelance business. So I told myself I would just worry about semantics later.

I didn’t set aside extra money, I didn’t create dedicated accounts and I didn’t carefully track my income and expenses.

In short, I was a fool. And I paid dearly for it around tax time. My stress levels were off the chart.

Do as I say and not as I do (did).

Here’s are a few action steps you can take in the beginning to make the entire process run much more smoothly:

  1. Form an LLC (I used Rocket Lawyer)
  2. Open a dedicated business checking account
  3. Get a dedicated business credit card account (or a regular credit card that you use only for business)
  4. Register for a Quickbooks Essentials account and start tracking your income and expenses

It’s so much easier to be organized from the beginning. I don’t want you to need to backtrack like I did and scramble on tax day to figure out what you owe.

Even if you think you’ll ultimately end up hiring an accountant or bookkeeper to take the process over, most will still ask you to set up a Quickbooks account. Rip off the bandaid now.

If you need help getting started with Quickbooks, there are loads of tutorials online

Check to Internal Revenue Service
(photo by mokee81/

How do you file taxes if you are a freelancer?

So how do freelancers pay taxes? Freelancers are expected to file both an annual return and pay estimated quarterly taxes.

Quick warning before we dive in – it’s completely normal for this process to seem overwhelming. It’s overwhelming for lot of freelancers, myself included. 

There’s no shame in hiring a professional to take the reins and help guide you through the process. 

There are services available for as little as $290 per year designed to help self-employed freelancers with their taxes. For most small business owners like myself, this is nothing in the grand scheme of things. My personal recommendations (with promo codes) are listed at the bottom of this article.

Making quarterly estimated payments

First of all, don’t worry, this doesn’t mean you need to “do your taxes” five times a year. Quarterly estimates are much easier than filing your annual taxes and typically only require one tax form. 

You pay quarterly estimated payments as a method of paying Social Security, Medicare and income tax because you don’t have a traditional employer who would otherwise automatically withhold these taxes from your paycheck.

Freelancers can determine what the estimated quarterly taxes should be using Form 1040-ES, which includes a worksheet. You will need a prior year’s tax return in order to do this calculation. 

If you are in your first year of self-employment, just make a best guess on how much income you expect to receive for the year.

Don’t worry, if you over or underestimate you’ll just need to complete another 1040-ES form the following quarter to compensate accordingly.

You can make your payments to the IRS each quarter by either using one of the blank vouchers provided on the 1040-ES form by mail, or you can pay using their Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS).

If you plan on using the EFTPS to file online, you will need to enroll at least two weeks in advance of the quarterly filing deadline. A Personal Identification Number (PIN) is required to file and will arrive within 5-7 business days via U.S. mail after you enroll. 

Quarterly filing deadlines for 2021 are as follows:

  • April 15th, 2021 (1st quarter)
  • June 15, 2021 (2nd quarter)
  • September 15, 2021 (3rd quarter)
  • January 15, 2022 (4th quarter)

Quarterly filing deadlines for 2022 are as follows:

  • April 15th, 2022 (1st quarter)
  • June 15, 2022 (2nd quarter)
  • September 15, 2022 (3rd quarter)
  • January 15, 2023 (4th quarter)

Filing annual returns

You will also need to file an annual return each year. The 2021 annual return deadline is April 15, 2022.

You will need two forms to file your annual return. 

First, you’ll need a Schedule C to report your profit and loss. 

You should receive a 1099-MISC (or 1099-K if your payments came from a service like PayPal or Upwork) from each client who paid you $600 or more in a calendar year to help make these calculations a bit easier. 

If one of your clients fails to send this information, just keep track of this income on your own and report it as such on your Schedule C calculations.

Editor’s note: You are obligated to report all of your income to the IRS regardless of whether or not a client sends a 1099-MISC.

Next, you’ll need a Schedule SE (Form 1040 or 1040-SR) to calculate your self-employment tax. You will use the calculations from Schedule C to fill out Form 1040.

At the time of this writing, the current self-employment tax rate is 15.3%. And 92.35% of your net earnings from self employment are subject to this tax (eek).

There are ways to structure your business to reduce that self-employment tax burden (like forming an S-Corp) which we will discuss later on in this article.

Typically speaking, advantages to using an S-Corp start to come into play around the $80,000 mark.

Again, it’s probably easier just to hire someone or pay a service to provide custom guidance and handle these annual tax filings for you.

How much should I set aside for taxes?

For freelancers, a good rule of thumb is to set aside at least 25-30% of your earnings for your taxes.

You should also note that freelancers rarely receive tax refunds, unless an accidental overpayment has been made. Kiss those days goodbye.

A sample Collective Dashboard
A sample Collective dashboard

Accountants for freelancers: Letting someone else handle the dirty work

As mentioned before, I never actually do my own taxes. 

As a freelancer, my time is extremely valuable and I recognize that taxes are not my forte. My time is better spent elsewhere. 

That’s why I hire other people to handle it for me.

Below are the two services I personally recommend:

1. TurboTax Live Self-Employed with Full Service

This service is ideal for freelancers making less than $80,000 per year.

With TurboTax Live Self-Employed, you can receive unlimited tax advice from a tax expert or CPA who will prepare, sign and file your taxes for you. 

At the time of this writing, this service costs just $290 (for federal filings, state filing may cost extra if applicable) and you only pay when you file.

2. Collective: The Back Office Platform

This service is ideal for freelancers making more than $80,000 per year.

This is the service I currently use.

Collective is a relatively new company, founded by freelancers, for freelancers. They “get” it.

Collective will also help you set up an S-Corp and payroll services which takes the edge off the previously mentioned self employment tax. 

On average, the company boasts that they save their members an average of $16,845 in taxes per year by filing this way.

Services in their base subscription include:

  • Help with LLC formations, S-corps, operating agreements and Tax ID numbers 
  • Quarterly tax estimates and salary recommendations
  • Business and individual income tax returns
  • Year round tax and accounting support
  • QuickBooks Online Essentials (a $40 per month value)
  • QuickBooks setup and training 
  • A Gusto subscription (a $45 per month value)
  • Payroll training and support

You may also wish to do what I did and upgrade to full service bookkeeping for an extra $79.99 per month (worth it).

This service genuinely changed my freelancing life and I cannot recommend it enough.

Check out my full review of Collective here

And because I am such a fangirl of this company, they also helped me out with a custom promo code for my readers (I am honored to be a part of their pilot VIP affiliate program).

At the time of this writing, Collective is offering their base service for $199 per month (normally $249 per month). But if you use the referral code: MORGAN you’ll receive an additional 50% off your first two months

Additional savings are also available for married freelancing couples (with an add-on option for the spousal unit at a discounted $129 per month).

And if your spouse is not self-employed, Collective will file their W2 each year free of charge.

Are you a freelancer? Share your tax stories in the comments and don’t forget to connect with me on social using the links below.

Leave a Comment